Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Mid 20s Career Battle

I recently came across a marketing job that allowed me to work closer to home. The pay is okay but no where near great. The only benefits are: it is closer to home and it was a communications based position. However, I told myself that I wouldn't take it unless I could negotiate for the salary. I feel entitled to a substantial salary because of my education from a pretty awesome institution and I worked as business development coordinator for an engineering firm. My previous job pretty much put me at the front lines of marketing by networking and connecting with diplomats, businessmen, and politicians. It was awesome. However, family comes first and I decided to leave it behind and come home.

So of course! I expected my next job to be similar or  higher pay. I was sadly disappointed. However, for the sake of comfort and simply because my financial situation at the moment is tenuous I am desperate to get back into a career and have a steady salary. I have been home for almost 2 months now and I feel my vacation is slowly eroding away and restlessness is taking over. So should I sacrifice my expectations for a job that could come easily to me? Simply because I need the money? Afterall, I need to eat and pay the bills right? I can't wait for that elusive perfect job to come my way.

Still..I feel like I shouldn't settle.

My family says I should take the job and then quit if I find something better. However, I feel that is such a cop out. If I decide to do something, I can't quit it unless I've done a great job in it. I can't leave unless I've seen it through until the end. It would bother me that I quit because it means I failed at meeting the expectations of the job I agreed to do. Lastly, I would feel bad for the employer who had faith in me and hired me.

So what should I do?

Approaching my mid 20s, I feel like I am at a critical juncture at my life. People cannot take my expectations seriously and I cannot find a job that would satisfy my need to be challenged. Why are all the awesome jobs saved for people who are old and in their 40s and 50s. They are already seriously lacking in creativity and they have fallen into the "routine" of things. Their minds clouded by their family obligations, years of stress, and clocking out at 5pm. Whereas my mind is fresh and ready to jump into the game. (Okay not all 40s and 50s people are boring...some not all!)

As I wait for that elusive phone call to tell me my salary expectations have been met. I wonder what I would do if it was not. Take the job and satisfy my immediate financial demands? Take the job then quit when something better comes along? Deny the job and keep looking and trying for that perfect job?

I am still deciding what to do. If you have the answers please tell me because I hate over analyzing my situation and falling short of what I should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment