Monday, April 30, 2012

Where can I take survival courses?

This article totally fits with the whole "survivor mode" blog I made yesterday.


Victoria Grover, Utah Hiker, Survives 4 Days In Dixie National Forest

I think all college students should undergo a proficiency exam on surviving the outdoors to supplement our research, analytic, and language background. You may never know when you will need it. I now regret not doing Girls Scouts as a kid. I am definitely making my kids participate in girls/boy scouts so they can survive in the "arena" (lame hunger games joke, but I can't help myself) or more aptly named the real world.

I think hunter/gatherer cultures are on the right track. To reach the age of maturity, you need to survive in the wildernesses. The tribe will dump you in the middle of no where and you have to find your way back home at the tender age of 12 or 13. I watched an episode on National Geographic where a tribe would circumcise young boys and leave them out in the wilderness to survive. If they were successful they were hailed as men of the tribe. If they failed...well that would just suck. 


Alright, I'm adding "survival courses" to my list of basic skills to have. Thank you huff post.

No comments:

Post a Comment